We are a Welcoming Congregation—inclusive and expressive of the concerns of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming not only their presence but the unique gifts and particularities of their lives as well.
A congregation that publicly and successfully welcomes LBGTQ people has the following qualities:
- Assumes the presence of LBGTQ persons and celebrates this diversity by having inclusive language and content in their worship.
- Fully incorporates the experiences of LBGTQ persons throughout all programs, including religious education.
- Includes an affirmation and nondiscrimination clause in our by-laws and other official documents affecting all dimensions of congregational life, including membership, hiring practices, and the calling of religious professionals.
- Engages in outreach into the LBGTQ community in its advertising and by actively supporting LBGTQ affirmative groups.
- Offers congregational and ministerial support for union and memorial services for LBGTQ persons, and for celebrations of evolving family definitions.
- Celebrates the lives of all people and welcomes same-sex couples, recognizing their committed relationships, and equally affirms displays of caring and affection without regard to sexual orientation.
- Seeks to nurture ongoing dialogue between lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, queer, and heterosexual persons and to create deeper trust and sharing.
- Encourages the presence of a chapter of Interweave. (Unitarian Universalists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer concerns).
- Affirms and celebrates LBGTQ issues and history during the church year.
- Attends to legislative developments and works to promote justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society.
- Speaks out when the rights of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people are at stake.
- Celebrates the lives of all people and their ways of expressing their love for each other.
For further information, please visit: